Shop by Category


Q: Should we purchase UHF, VHF, or Digital?
A: UHF radios will perform well both indoors and outdoors. VHF radios are best for outdoor use. Digital radios perform best indoors.

Q: How many watts do I need?
A: Wattage determines the strength of your radio signal with UHF & VHF radios. The larger the jobsite, the more watts you should purchase. Please refer to the wattage and range of each radio before purchasing.

Q: How many channels do I need?
A: Channels are used to segregate work teams within the jobsite. Each work group can have their own channel to minimize disruptions in other departments. Digital radios provide the added benefit of allowing each worker to have an individual channel for single person-to-person communication as well as a channel for their work group.

Q: How far will the radios communicate?
A: The radios are designed to provide complete coverage of your jobsite. The radios are not designed to provide communication from the jobsite but may work a mile or so away from the site. If you require more coverage a Repeater may be an option.

Q: What is the warranty on the radios?

Motorola Business Radios
A: All Motorola Business Radios and accessories come with a replacement warranty for one year from the date you purchase your radios.

Q: How many radios can be used at one time?

A: You may use as many as you like. We recommend using an additional channel for every 10 employees.

Q: Will the Motorola two way radios communicate with other brands of radios?
A: Yes, provided the other radios are programmed to the same frequency and codes. Please contact your dealer for assistance.

Q: Is an FCC license required?
A: Yes, on certain models. The Motorola RDM and DTR do not. Go to and request document 000610 for more information.

Q: Are your radios narrowband compliant?
A: Yes, all of our radios meet the FCC regulation of being 12.5 kHz or equivalent.

Q: Why do I need to license my radios with the FCC?
A: The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is not licensing your radios – it’s licensing the radio frequency used by your radios. The airwaves are considered public property and the FCC is mandated to regulate the use of those public airwaves. Radio and television stations are required to be licensed for use of broadcast airwaves, and so are all radio operators, from business class to citizen band (CB) to ham radio operators.

Q: Are chargers compatible from one radio series to another?
A: No. Due to different battery chemistries, sizes, and charge times each radio requires its own charging system.

Q: What’s the difference between VHF and UHF radios?
A: The difference is frequency penetration. Ultra High Frequency (UHF) radio waves penetrate steel, concrete and brick walls, or rugged terrain, making them ideal for situations that need indoor – to – outdoor communications, or communications between floors of a building. Very High Frequency (VHF) radio waves travel best where there are no obstructions, making them the right choice for outdoor communication in areas with open land, rolling hills or thick forests.